Chandlers Garage was established in 1925 by Rose Chandler (pictured here), the wife of Alf Chandler, and has been in the family ever since.
The business began by delivering petrol in 2 gallon cans to the larger houses in Elstead who could afford cars. This soon turned into a working petrol station, as owning a car became a more affordable luxury.
As time progressed, the workshop was added, and then in the 1950's was extended, in order to meet the demand for mechanical work.
In the 1960's, Chandler's operated as a petrol station, with a busy workshop, and convenience store. It also served as the local taxi service, as well as renting out its small fleet of classic cars for weddings and funerals.
In the mid 1990's, the facility underwent major reconstruction to keep up with the times. An MOT bay was added, and technology and diagnostics systems were introduced, securing Chandlers a competitive spot in the marketplace, and ensuring it could adapt itself to the speed in which the motor industry was moving.
In 2006, Chandlers stopped selling petrol at the pump, ending it's long relationship with Shell. Much to the disappointment of villagers, and widely covered in the local press, the business could no longer compete with the large supermarkets in nearby Farnham and Godalming. This did however coincide nicely with the introduction of the used car sales side of the business which was introduced a few years earlier, allowing for a larger inventory of vehicles to be displayed where the pumps used to be.
Occupying a prime location in this quaint village, Chandlers has been featured in BBC's Rosemary & Thyme with Felicity Kendal - a proud moment for Elstead.
Family heritage still plays a strong part in the business with Bob, Caroline and Martin all playing very active roles. The newest Chandler to join the family business is Martin's son Ben, who is an MIT apprentice. The family also plays an active role in the community, by sponsoring the Elstead village marathon each year.